Introduction to Scottish Terriers
The Scottish terrier is likely one of the most recognizable canines on the earth and is understood for its iconic beard and spunky demeanor. Scottish terriers are unbiased and assured canines which might be stuffed with persona and have nearly human-like traits. This breed is available in varied colours and requires common grooming to maintain the wiry coat freed from tangles.
Though Scottish terriers have been initially bred to hunt small animals in Scotland, they’re beloved household pets right now that usually stay lengthy and wholesome lives. Listed here are the fundamentals of what you should find out about Scottish terriers earlier than buying or adopting one, in addition to why pet medical insurance is very advisable for Scottish terriers.
Measurement of Scottish Terriers
Scottish terriers are small canines that attain weights of 19 to 22 kilos for males and 18 to 21 kilos for females. They’re compact and have brief legs and a sturdy construct. A Scottish terrier’s head is lengthy in comparison with the remainder of its physique, and the breed is extra highly effective than you may count on at first look.
Scottish terriers develop essentially the most in the course of the first six months of life. These canines typically attain their grownup peak (about 10 inches tall) and weight by one yr of age. There are solely slight variations in weight between female and male Scottish terriers, with males tending to weigh only a pound or two extra.
Right here’s how massive you’ll be able to count on your Scottish terrier to get because the canine grows from puppyhood to maturity:
|Common weight for female and male Scottish terriers
Traits of Scottish Terriers
Widespread traits of Scottish terriers are alert, watchful, clever, and cussed. These canines are loving towards relations however cautious of strangers. They are often strong-willed when confronted with coaching, making them a greater possibility for skilled canine house owners, and want a average quantity of train to remain wholesome and match. Scottish terriers might be aggressive with different canines, so good coaching is critical at an early age in case you have different pets in the home or simply to exit in public. Scottish terriers are sometimes okay with older youngsters, however Scottish terriers could also be vulnerable to snap at younger youngsters.
As you get to know a Scottish terrier’s persona, right here’s what you’ll be able to count on primarily based on his or her breed traits:
|Degree (Excessive, Medium, Low)
|Affectionate with Individuals
|Good with Youngsters
|Low to Medium
|Good with Pets
|Want for Train
|Capable of Be Educated
|Quantity of Barking
|Quantity of Shedding
Historical past of Scottish Terriers
As their identify suggests, Scottish terriers originate from Scotland, the place they have been bred to hunt rats, foxes, badgers, and different small animals within the Scottish Highlands. That is among the many oldest canine breeds on the earth. The canine’s origin might be traced to 55 B.C. when Pliny the Elder described small, working canines that have been current when the Romans invaded Britain. The Scottish terrier can also be described in a 1436 guide concerning the historical past of Scotland. Nevertheless, the breed was developed and refined within the 1800s and distinguished by the Scottish terrier that had tough hair and the English terrier that had easy hair.
King James I of England gave Scottish terrier canines to folks as items within the seventeenth century, and the primary of those canines arrived in America in 1883. The American Kennel Membership registered its first Scottie, named Prince Charles, in 1885. Many celebrities have had Scottish terriers through the years, particularly within the Thirties and Forties. The canines are nonetheless common right now and make fantastic pets!
Scottish Terrier Commonplace Info
Scottish terriers usually compete in canine reveals and are judged primarily based on their bodily traits and actions. Basically, these canines have weather-resistant coats, eager expressions, erect ears and tails, and a daring and dignified demeanor.
Right here is an outline of the breed commonplace data for Scottish terriers:
- Head is lengthy in proportion to the general measurement of the canine
- Muzzle roughly equal to size of the cranium
- Scissor chunk is most popular, however stage chunk can also be acceptable
- Eyes set extensive aside, small, piercing, and almond-shaped
- Small and pricked ears
Neck, Topline, Physique:
- Reasonably brief neck that’s thick and robust
- Reasonably brief physique with robust loin
- Topline of the again is agency and stage
- Chest is broad and really deep
- Tail is about seven inches lengthy and by no means minimize
- Shoulders are nicely laid again and reasonably well-knit at withers
- Forelegs are heavy in bone and straight or barely bent
- Forefeet are bigger than hind toes, additionally spherical and compact
- Dewclaws could also be eliminated
- Thighs are very muscular and highly effective
- Hocks nicely let down and parallel to one another
- Damaged coat with a tough, wiry outercoat and smooth, dense undercoat
- Coat ought to be trimmed and blended to provide a definite define
- Coat on beard, legs, and decrease physique could also be softer than physique coat however not fluffy
- Could be black, wheaten, or brindle of any shade
- Could have sprinklings of white or silver hairs
- White is barely allowed on the chest and chin
- Free, agile, and coordinated with a strong drive
- Rear legs’ motion is sq., with hocks and stifles flexed and a vigorous movement on the trot
- Again is agency and stage whereas in movement
Caring for Scottish Terriers
Scottish terriers make glorious house canines due to their measurement and train wants. Nevertheless, these canines nonetheless want not less than a average stroll or two every day and to get about an hour of train day by day.
Listed here are some common suggestions for taking the perfect care of a Scottish terrier:
Finest Residing Environments:
- Flats are advantageous if exercised day by day
- All the time preserve in a fence whereas in a yard attributable to excessive prey drive
Kind of Train:
- An hour of train per day
- Morning and night walks with playtime in between
- No swimming or aquatic actions
- Puzzle toys
- Canine sports activities
- Operating and chasing video games
- Not all the time keen to study or be skilled
- Maintain coaching classes brief and never boring
- Use optimistic reinforcement with treats and reward
- Expose your canine to different canines and completely different folks from an early age
- Doesn’t shed very a lot
- Requires knowledgeable groomer or to study grooming abilities your self
- Coat ought to be hand-stripped as soon as monthly or clip the coat roughly each two months
- Brush the coat weekly to take away tangles between grooming classes
- Bathe month-to-month relying on the extent of grime collected
- Trim nails month-to-month
- Test ears for wax build-up and irritation
Widespread Well being Issues of Scottish Terriers
Scotties are typically wholesome canines which have a median life expectancy of 12 years. Nevertheless, like all breeds, they’re vulnerable to sure sorts of well being situations and genetic problems. That is why so many pet dad and mom signal their Scottish terriers up for canine insurance coverage to allow them to all the time get the vet care they want with out having to fret about funds.
These are a number of the most widespread well being points that come up with Scottish terriers:
- Scottie cramp (can have an effect on strolling and operating)
- Von Willebrand’s illness (inherited blood dysfunction)
- Craniomandibular osteopathy (cranium bone dysfunction amongst puppies)
- Cerebellar abiotrophy (neurologic illness)
- Patellar luxation (kneecap situation)
- Portosystemic shunt (liver illness)
- Thyroid points
- Eye problems (cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy)
Weight loss plan and Vitamin for Scottish Terriers
When a Scottish terrier is absolutely grown, the canine will want about one to 1.5 cups of dry pet food per day. Nevertheless, the precise quantity of meals ought to be decided by the canine’s measurement, well being, and stage of exercise, in addition to the meals’s caloric density. So, be certain to debate portion sizes and meals suggestions along with your veterinarian.
The place to Undertake or Buy Scottish Terriers
The Scottish Terrier Membership of America is the nationwide breed membership for such a canine and is a membership group linked to not less than 20 regional golf equipment nationwide. The group’s web site supplies assets for member breeders, overseas breeders, out there litters, and rescue organizations.
There are additionally native and regional rescue organizations specializing in getting Scottish terriers adopted into loving houses. Some examples are the St. Louis Scottish Terrier Rescue, North Texas Scottie Rescue, Rocky Mountain Scottie Rescue, and Scottish Terrier Rescue of the Southeast.
If every part that you’ve got been studying about Scottish terriers sounds nice and you end up falling in love with this breed, you may also need to find out about related canines earlier than making a remaining determination. Listed here are some associated and related breeds that share widespread traits with the Scottish terrier:
Pet Insurance coverage for Scottish Terriers
To maintain your Scottish terrier protected and guarded throughout all levels of life, Wholesome Paws gives Scottish terrier pet insurance coverage. We’re a top-rated pet insurance coverage plan in America and canopy every part from accidents to diseases, most cancers, emergency care, genetic and hereditary situations, breed-specific situations, and various care.
Greater than 560,000 pets are enrolled in our well being plan, which options no enrollment or administrative charges plus versatile premium and deductible choices. Get your Scottish terrier insurance coverage quote right now to make the perfect determination for the one that you love pet.